This year, Character Day falls on September 22nd. There will be over 70,000 Character Day screening events in 96 countries and all 50 states. When you compare that with several thousand events last year, it’s easy to see that this day is becoming a phenomenon around the globe! So, what IS Character Day?
According to Let it Ripple Film Studio, the folks that initiated the first event in 2014 …
“Character Day is a free annual day and global initiative where groups around the world screen films on the science of character development from different perspectives (including The Science of Character, The Adaptable Mind, and The Making of a Mensch), dive into free printed discussion materials, and join an online global conversation around the importance of developing character strengths … all rooted in evidence-based research.”
At Mayerson Academy we are a strengths-based organization, so focusing on character strengths is a daily – if not hourly – event. We are aware of the research that has found that when you use 4 or more of your character strengths at work, you are more likely to have a positive work experiences and to see your work as a “calling” when compared to those who used fewer than 4 strengths. We know that although character strengths are innate, they do need to be nurtured, developed and brought forward – so we focus on celebrating and encouraging character strengths usage amongst our colleagues every day.
In Cincinnati, 5th and 6th grade teachers in Cincinnati Public Schools we have promoted building and using character strengths-language by embedding Thriving Learning Communities Classroom activities and materials into the My Tommorow*ed Advisory program. Mayerson’s Thriving Learning Communities program is a fully integrated approach to strengthen students’ character strengths and social-emotional competencies in the classroom and school, revealing the unique potential of every learner, and catalyzing strengths in all aspects of life, every day.
How can you participate in Character Day this year, starting a strengths-based habit?
- Sign-up and join this international event, finding out about all of the films, discussion questions, and strengths-based materials geared towards this day at http://www.letitripple.org/.
- Explore your own strengths at the VIA Institute on Character.
- View any of these short films from Let it Ripple for some great jumping-off points for discussion about character strengths.
- Explore the concept of “growth mindset” with children ages 2 – 10 by watching the film series from Class Dojo. Any of these films offer an opportunity to learn about the importance of building character every day … and may give you ideas on how to build character strengths in your daily life or in that of a child in your life.
- Visit Characterday.org on the evening of September 21st and all day on September 22nd to join our Global LiveCast Q&A to listen and ask questions to some of the most prominent leaders in the field of character development, from all different perspectives: Martin Seligman, Angela Duckworth, Sal Kahn, Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, and many more. Full speaker lineup and schedule.
- Visit Thriving Learning Communities for information about bringing a thriving, character strengths-based learning environment to your school or community
Join the movement, celebrate with us on September 22nd, and live your strengths every day!